Bayfield, Wisconsin, is a charming town known for its picturesque winter landscapes and outdoor activities. Here are five family-friendly winter activities you can enjoy in Bayfield:
- Get a bird's eye view of the Ice Caves: The Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is home to stunning sandstone caves. The Lakeshore Trail from Meyer's Beach is accessible year-round. This trail becomes a magical winter adventure with a snow-covered canopy and views of glistening ice caves. It's an incredible experience for the whole family, but be sure to check the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore live camera for ice conditions and bundle up before venturing out.
- Grab a book: Bayfield's Historic Carnegie Library offers thousands of books and a play area for kids on a frigid winter day. Also, check out Bayfield's two bookstores, Apostle Islands Booksellers and Honest Dog Books, for unique collections fit for all ages.
- Snowshoeing: Bayfield offers numerous trails and parks where you can enjoy snowshoeing. Rent or bring your own snowshoes and explore the area's scenic beauty. The Brownstone Trail, the Big Ravine Trail, and Lost Creek Falls are popular spots for snowshoeing adventures.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Mount Ashwabay, located just south of Bayfield, is a popular spot in the winter, offering downhill skiing, cross-country skiing and snowboarding opportunities for all skill levels. The recreation area has well-groomed slopes and affordable rates, making it a great option for families.
- Winter Festivals: The annual Bayfield Winter Festival features activities like live music, Sherp demos, crafts and games for the kids. The festival also includes the famous "Polar Bear Plunge," where participants jump into Lake Superior's icy waters for a charitable cause.
Remember to check local resources and weather conditions before engaging in these activities, as availability and safety can vary. Enjoy your winter adventures in Bayfield, Wisconsin!